Saturday, September 23, 2017

Foraging behavior of man

If you are a man, you will mostly have a corner in your cupboard (or elsewhere at home) where you store things that are generally termed as junk. It can be packing material, wood shavings, screws, old pens, old locks whose keys are misplaced or keys whose locks are missing for years etc. etc. which are better thrown away.  When something needs to be fixed at home, you go to this corner and try to find something that fits the bill. Recently I broke a tap and had to close the hole using a polythene cover and an old pen till the plumber came and fixed it. Once the tap was replaced, the old pen went back to it's old place.

I think what I am displaying by collecting all junk is a vestige of the foraging behavior of our ancestors. Cavemen, when foraging for food, would also pick stones that they plan to chisel into a knife like tool or a piece of wood that can make a good spear. When things were difficult to find, storing things made sense. Today, when everything can be easily bought off the shelf, I think it's just a habit that's coded in the genes. (I'm sure women don't do this, they have gotten over this.)

3 comments:

Manju Edangam said...

Welcome back :-)!

I guess it's a trait. There is something called 'compulsive hoarding' who indulge in this excessively.

This as a male trait is at least true in my house. I've the habit of storing the old things but not my wife. However, I sometimes rebel against this trait myself and destroy or throw away all old things.

SHE said...

Thanks, Manju!

For me, if all this storing saves me one trip to the market, it's equal to one life saved :-)

Talking from the point of view of cavemen, I think cavemen didn't like cave-women competing with them on collecting this junk. (Imagine both man and wife fighting for the same piece of packing material!) Hence maybe women starting giving up this habit.

Agatha P said...

Niice blog you have